Monday’s are usually fairly slow news days and this week is no exception. Due to the lack of any more news I find interesting enough to post about I’ve decided to leave this story here. My reasoning is that this story covers nine government conspiracies that actually happened. They are:
- The U.S. Department of the Treasury poisoned alcohol during Prohibition — and people died.
- The U.S. Public Health Service lied about treating black men with syphilis for more than 40 years.
- More than 100 million Americans received a polio vaccine contaminated with a potentially cancer-causing virus.
- Parts of the Gulf of Tonkin Incident, which led to U.S. intervention in Vietnam, never happened.
- Military leaders reportedly planned terrorist attacks in the U.S. to drum up support for a war against Cuba.
- The government tested the effects of LSD on unwitting U.S. and Canadian citizens.
- In 1974, the CIA secretly resurfaced a sunken Soviet submarine with three nuclear-armed ballistic missiles.
- The U.S. government sold weapons to Iran, violating an embargo, and used the money to support Nicaraguan militants.
- A public relations firm organized congressional testimony that propelled U.S. involvement in the Persian Gulf War.
The article is an interesting read because these stories really show what the United States government thinks of its own people and people abroad. Life has little meaning to it. If people have to be poisoned to enforce a prohibition against drinking alcohol then the government has no moral issue with doing it. If the people aren’t supporting a war effort the government has no issue hiring a public relations firm to build support. This is what government does and it is why I don’t feel it should exist.
One thought on “What You Mean to Your Government”
The only one of these I don’t have a problem with is Number 7 because letting it be public knowledge that we just stole 3 of you missiles from you secretly sunk sub is generally a bad idea.
Everything else on the list though is very much in the category of Dick moves on Governmental scales./
Comments are closed.